Bokcirkeln

Nästa träff är den 9 maj. Boken som ska läsas är Samuel J Delaney's Babel 17. =)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

30 days of night

30 days of night – graphic series

Yay, vampires, blood, violence and gore!
Yay, spastic and unclear yet frightfully surreal and terrifying drawing, sending chills along my spine!
Yay, gods –damned boring story plots and check the clichés as you go along….not.

Let’s see….

Old, overly used plot?

Will the vampires finally figure out that, hey, parts of the world have unending night for months? (That only took them, what, a couple of thousand years?)

Will there be inner fighting between old, careful vampires and newer ones who think they should rule the world?

Will humans not believe in vampires until they get their tracheas ripped out and fed back to them despite overwhelming evidence?

Check.

Heroic and inanely daft self-sacrifice?

Will one of the beleaguered heroes turn himself into a vampire to protect his loved ones and then kill himself?

Will there be ‘good’ vampires defending humans? (The vampiric version of PETA, I guess, eelol!)

Check.

Let’s all act like idiots, shall we?

We’ll NOT move away from town once darkness falls, but stay and fight – year after year – because hell, my hometown and honor is more important to me than the lives of my children.

Hero’s wife draws incredibly much attention to herself trying to tell the truth about vampires and then proceeds to kick their asses, until they are willing to bargain with her – she can resurrect her husband (to a vampire) if she leaves them alone. Will her vampire –husband try to bite her? Oh, no, I couldn’t see that coming a mile away, in bright clothes!

“I found a not-quite dead vampire in the snow, and although I’m a bad-ass hunter who kills vampires on sigh I decide to take this one home and thaw him. I deserve what’s coming to me, what with survival of the not so fucking stupid, and all. Oh look, he was good, what a surprise.”

“Awww…what acute baby, I can’t kill it although it’s a vampire and thus needs to feed on other children to survive. Instead I’ll feed it blood. Thanks to me, humanity will still be prey.”

“I’m a vampire, and thus so single-minded my brain might as well have railroad tracks. In one way. How I've survived for centruies, Gods only knows.”

Check.

Quote: ‘Nothing lives without a head!’ Ummm…apparently some writers does (not to mention quite a lot of organisms, such as bacteria, mushrooms, frekking plants, for crying out loud!)

2 comments:

Anna said...

LOL! detta verkar inte vara ett seriealbum - det är helt klart ett klichéalbum! susannas omdöme verkar tyda på att man även bör sätta varningslampa och avspärrningstejp på den för säkerhets skull. om inte annat för att undvika fördumning... ;-)

rätt?

Susanna said...

Ok, så jag kanske överdrev lite...men det är så roligt att överdriva! ;oP Kan int esäga att jag rekomenderar den dock, inte för annat än hur den är ritad, det är otäckt bra.

Bildspel...


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.